Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

The Help was the sixth book we read. Questions asked and my answers:

• Who was your favorite character and why?


My favorite character was Aibileen. I was able to make the strongest emotional "connection" with her. Aibileen was the kindest and most loving of all, sensitive to the needs of small children--especially poor Mae Mobley, who's mother was so awful to her. Maybe the author was closest to Aibileen too--she seemed to be more fleshed out than any of the other characters. I could just about see her there, telling me her story.

• Do you think Minny was justified in her distrust of white people?

Without a doubt! Other than Skeeter and Celia Foote, I haven't seen a single white character that treated her decently.

• Were you disappointed that Miss Skeeter didn't end the engagement before Stuart did?

I was disappointed that she went back to him so easily, yes. He was rude to her on that first date so I was surprised she'd even consider going out with him again--and then he dumped her again. I was totally not surprised that he walked out on her as soon as she told him about the book. :P

• Hilly seems to be a horrible, controlling woman, but a good mother. Is that possible?


It depends. I suppose a controlling woman could be a good mother, but not one that spews hate like Hilly did. It wasn't just her bigotry it was also her spiteful revenge she'd take out on someone who has the "nerve" to cross her. Children live what they learn. Hilly might love her kids but from her, they'd learn to be bigotted, small minded and vengeful. Nope, not a good mom.

• What did you think of the pie Minny made? Justified?

Hilly deserved every bite she took. It did gross me out though. (shudder) I sure do understand why Minny did it!

• Would you have had the courage to stand up and do what Miss Skeeter did? Or would you be the type to go along with the flow and the times.

I had a little trouble with this. I'm not sure to call what Skeeter did "courage". For a long time she didn't understand the risk she was putting the lives of the maids into. When she did do something "rebellious" I wasn't sure if it was really such or not. Example: Hilly demands that Skeeter print that horrible directive of hers. I think it would have been more courageous to flat out refuse and resign or write a disagreeing editorial about it than to pull a prank and then act all innocent about it.

I'm conflicted about it because Skeeter and I would be from two different generations. Skeeter was born around WWII and there was a whole different set of "rules" then. I can remember opening up my big mouth to object rather than to just go along with the flow. Sometimes I was ostracized and it did hurt but oh well. It was better to have that than not to say anything about something that was wrong.

0 comments: