Thursday, October 4, 2007

Decorum

Booking Through Thursday

Do you have “issues” with too much profanity or overly explicit (ahem) “romantic” scenes in books? Or do you take them in stride? Have issues like these ever caused you to close a book? Or do you go looking for more exactly like them? (grin)

Once upon a time when I was younger, more curious and more passionate, I liked finding erotic passages in books. I used to go looking for more. Now that I am an old gray mare, I take them in stride but find it annoying if the scenes don't add to the story. One reason I don't like R movies is because they have gratuitous scenes of violence and/or sex. I don't read romance novels at all anymore. The only "romantic" scenes I've enjoyed in the last few years were in Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series of books. Ahhhhh, Jamie...

2 comments:

BookGal said...

Very well-said!

Sonya said...

I'm the same way. I don't seek them out and only tolerate them if they add to the story. I read The Nanny Diaries a few months ago and honestly, the profanity in that book slayed me! It didn't add a thing and I finished the book. I vowed that I would not do that anymore. The book wasn't very good, in my opinion, because of that and also because there was no resolution in the story.