Thursday, September 13, 2007

Comfort Food

Booking Through Thursday

Okay . . . picture this (really) worst-case scenario: It’s cold and raining, your boyfriend/girlfriend has just dumped you, you’ve just been fired, the pile of unpaid bills is sky-high, your beloved pet has recently died, and you think you’re coming down with a cold. All you want to do (other than hiding under the covers) is to curl up with a good book, something warm and comforting that will make you feel better.

What do you read?


I don't think any book would make me feel better under those circumstances but the first one I'd probably pick up (no, not the Bible!) would be Rabbi Kushner's book about why bad things happen to good people. Even if it's not warm, it's got comforting information in it! Then I would move on to a book that would pull me into the story and help me forget my troubles. Some books I've read in the past that would work:

Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
The Stand by Stephen King
Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
Christy by Catherine Marshall

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am yet to read Koontz!
So Many Books, So Less Time!

Becca said...

Oh yes, Gone With the Wind could certainly take your mind off your troubles - or at least encourage to just "worry about them tomorrow," Scarlet style!