Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Spring Moon by Bette Bao Lord

I enjoyed the first part of this book very much. From the title, I assumed the main character would be Spring Moon and that the story would be told from her point of view. I read somewhere that it's been compared to Gone With The Wind but I have to disagree--except to say that it concerns a family torn apart by civil war. Other characters were introduced into the story and subsequent chapters would go between Spring Moon's point of view and some of the others. I found it distracting, particularly after Spring Moon returned home after the death of her husband. The illicit romance between Spring Moon and her uncle didn't really ring true to me and I thought it detracted from the story. Otherwise, I enjoy historical fiction and particularly learning about events in history occuring in other countries--in this case, China.

0 comments: