Friday, July 20, 2007

When The Bough Breaks by Jonathan Kellerman

When I realized I had a copy of the very first Dr. Delaware (I have lots of books I don't remember acquiring) I decided I had to read it next. I've read a couple of books by Kellerman and the Alex Delaware character and stories are okay but not what I would call spell binding. They were fast on plot advancement and thin on character development. I thought possibly all that back history was explained in the first few books. Well ... no. All I really learned is that Alex Delaware is a gung-ho child psychologist who doesn't mind putting himself in danger or breaking the law (or bending it) to break a case...and it's not even hiscase! He is a consultant to the Los Angeles Police Department, most especially Milo Sturgis. Alex has a partner, Robin, that he occasionally becomes passionate with although the scenes sort of leave me cold. They seem forced. Milo is gay. I mention that because it gets mentioned in every single book so far. I thought maybe a slow reveal as Milo and Alex become friends but ... no. What motivates Alex? Why is he such a cowboy? I don't know and will it ever be revealed? Maybe that will come out in a later book? Many times with the mystery thrillers you have to suspend some sense of reality and it's okay with me as long as its somewhat believable. A lot of this story wasn't somewhat believable to me and so I was glad when I got to the end. Eh.

0 comments: