Thursday, July 26, 2007

Best Moustache Twirling

Booking Through Thursday

Who’s the worst fictional villain you can think of? As in, the one you hate the most, find the most evil, are happiest to see defeated? Not the cardboard, two-dimensional variety, but the most deliciously-written, most entertaining, best villain? Not necessarily the most “evil,” so much as the best-conceived on the part of the author…oh, you know what I mean!

For me, it is without a doubt "Black Jack" Randall from Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. Although he has to be one of the most brutal and sadistic characteristics I've ever seen written, he did have a human side to him -- a younger brother he cherished. He tortured and sexually assaulted my favorite character. He was cold blooded, cunning and ruthless. And yet ... when his younger brother was on his deathbed, he was totally humbled, crushed. I haven't hated a character more than him.

I missed last week's frenzy and decided to answer the questions anyway!

1. Okay, love him or loathe him, you’d have to live under a rock not to know that J.K. Rowling’s final Harry Potter book, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, comes out on Saturday… Are you going to read it? Yes of course

2. If so, right away? Or just, you know, eventually, when you get around to it? Are you attending any of the midnight parties? No midnight parties, not reading it until it comes out in paper back probably because the arthritis in my hands makes holding heavy books nearly impossible

3. If you’re not going to read it, why not? Not applicable

4. And, for the record… what do you think? Will Harry survive the series? What are you most looking forward to? I think Harry will survive because otherwise Evil triumphs over Good and we just can't have that. I guess I am most looking forward to the climax. I think Harry will defeat Voldemort. And they all lived happily ever after. The End.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

So many people have said Black Jack. Now I feel the need to go out and read the Outlander books!

CeeCee said...

I used to be a fan of hard back books but not so much anymore. They are very heavy.

Chris said...

You know, the series just wasn't the same after Jack was gone.

Literary Feline said...

I have not read The Outlander series, but I've noticed Jack is coming up a lot for this week's BTT question. He must be pretty evil!