Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Break No Bones by Kathy Reichs

I'd heard of the TV series Bones but have never seen it nor was I aware it was based on Kathy Reichs' character, Dr. Temperance Brennan. Dr. Brennan is an archaeologist/accidental sleuth in a series. This is book #9, the first one I've read. I'm usually not a fan of serial mysteries because they follow a formula. I enjoyed much of this one though.

First of all, Dr. Brennan is a woman. I didn't have to put up with the terse, wise cracking, hard drinking male sleuth lead type character. Unfortunately, the story did follow the usual formula in a couple of different ways. There's the terse lines and attempts at wit. For some reason, there's always some talk about what the characters are eating. There's always an estranged loved one and a new romantic interest already going on or in the wings. There's always some obligatory conflict going on there. Yawn.

The first two thirds of the book held my interest. I was surprised when they made their arrest about fifty pages before the end of the story. Still, there had to be a danger scene or two thrown in there and a curve ball about that arrest. Was it the right guy or not?

In the end, as usual, all's well that ends well.

It was better than 90% of serial mysteries I've read.

Break No Bones falls into these challenges:







0 comments: