Sunday, January 3, 2010

Miss American Pie

Well, I just finished Book One for four of my five challenges, pretty darn good!

Miss American Pie by Margaret Sartor is actually a diary she kept between the ages of 13 and 18. When I realized what it was, I became even more interested because I could relate to it. I kept a diary starting when I was 12 or 13 and until I married my first husband.

I felt many of the things young Margaret felt: "Rained again. That's my life." "I hate these days with nothing to do." "Jesus, are you watching over me? I hope someone is." "The first time I thought about killing myself, I was about ten years old." Some of it is so mundane, some of it filled with so much pain.

Margaret is six years younger than me. She remembers many of the things I do--Watergate, for one thing. She grew up in Louisiana and remembers desegregation and rascism on a level I don't.

You can see her maturing and her ability to reason and figure things out through the years. She sure was boy crazy, I have to say that!

I have to admit that sometimes the book was boring -- but isn't that what our real lives are like?

The book fits these challenges:








Babbette

0 comments: