Thursday, March 6, 2008

My book became boring! What would YOU do?

I'm reading Princes of Ireland by Edward Rutherfurd, supposedly the modern James Michener. Actually, I enjoyed the first 570-odd pages of the book. Suddenly, though, the story ground to an abrupt halt. It's become so boring my eyes blur and glaze over as I struggle to continue. I struggled through 50 pages and then decided to try skipping to the next section. It's not engaging my interest, though, and I keep putting it down. There's another 200 pages to go. What would you do if this happened to you?

6 comments:

Marg said...

I'd keep going....just in case it got better again.

muffinmidi said...

I think #2in your quiz pretty well sums up my philosophy. Life is too short to read boring books.The day I gave up being an Englsh major was the day I stopped slogging thru
every book I read, regardless of whether it was any good or not.
Tracy

Daphne said...

I had this exact same thing happen with this exact same book. I couldn't do it anymore - I just didn't care to find out what happened to the characters. I had about the last quarter to go and I've never regretted not finishing it.

Teena in Toronto said...

Next!

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I had a writing professor once tell me that life was too short to read bad books. He said if a book didn't do it for us in the first quarter, we should give up and move on.

I've followed that ever since. Except I don't always wait for that first quarter to elapse!

alisonwonderland said...

i voted for picking up a new book - but i think that if it were me, i'd be putting the current one aside with the intention of someday picking it up again to finish it. don't know that it would ever happen - but i wouldn't want to think i was abandoning the book altogether. :)